Friday, June 15, 2012

Surprise 60th Birthday Fiesta

Planning this event was Extra-Super-Special as it was for my mom's 60th Birthday.  From the moment I started thinking of planning her party I knew I wanted a fiesta theme, but not the typical fiesta theme with Mexican sombreros and cactus tree confetti and decor.  I envisioned a classy Fiesta that would still include some traditional party decor.  Like Mexican crepe paper flowers or maybe even some papel picado.   

With some of the elements in mind I began my planning journey.  I searched and searched for an invite and when I saw it, I knew it was the One.  That's all it took for all the ideas to flow and for me to pull all the details together - from decor, cake, to the customized menu with a Mexican flare.  I can say so much, but this sums it up:  Rustic, burlap with a muted blue and pop of orange...  Enjoy!

This is what got my fiesta planning juices flowing.  I saw this on a promo for Cocodot and had to have it.  The BESTest part of it was that the design was baby blue which is the color I had in mind for this event - I knew it was the ONE at first sight!!
The design reminded me of papel picado. 
Not your traditional paper flowers handmade by FlowerBazaar on Etsy.
Centerpieces were small pedestal candles, sorrounded by crepe paper flowers, laid on wooden trays.   All placed on burlap runners. 
I made burlap napkin holders and added grosgrain ribbon to pull in the blue. 
Feliz 60 burlap flags with a few pictures of the guest of honor.
This nifty lantern was a Cost Plus find.  Perfect to fill with sand and succulents for display table.
Cake by Jen's cakes, matched invitation design.
Topped with Feliz 60th burlap bunting from At Company B on Etsy.

Birdcage card holder

Talk about things I heart --> This birdcage I found abandoned with a clearance sticker in a corner at a Home Goods Store.  Initially I didn't buy it because it was an avocado green color.  A week went by and I just couldn't get it out of my head...  I knew it would tie in well with the theme and thought "heck, I can just paint the darn thing and make it work".  So I did just that.  I bought it, brought it home and bought a can of baby blue spray paint.  The hubbs painted it for me.  It came out perfect!
Menu customized to fit with the theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment